Pitatayo is me! That's how I pronounced my first and last name when I was really little and learning to talk. This blog is about me, my life, my experiences and other things I want to write about.

This blog has moved. Please visit me at Patricia's Place!

Sunday, January 22

Butternet Squash-Apple Soup


This is the soup recipe that I absolutely love and have blogged about several times. It's a Williams-Sonoma recipe but they don't have it online. The recipe was on a bottle of Butternut Squash Puree that I bought at the Williams-Sonoma store. It's not available anymore but it's easy to make squash puree yourself. The nice thing about this recipe is that you can make it dairy free. If you have allergies to dairy, you can use non-dairy Earth Balance buttery spread instead of butter and it still comes out great!

Butternut Squash Puree
Cut the butternet squash in half lengthwise and place face down on a baking sheet. Bake at 375 for about 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours depending on the size of the squash. The squash is ready when you can insert a knife into the squash easily. For this recipe you'll need a big squash.

To puree the squash, spoon the inside out and put into a blender or food processor and puree. Add water depending on how thick you want it.

Butternut Squash-Apple Soup
3 Tbs. unsalted butter
2/3 cup (80g) finely diced peeled apple, sush as granny smith
1/2 cup (90g) minced shallot
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup (60ml) dry white wine
4 cups Butternet squash puree
2 to 3 cups (500 to 750ml) chicken stock, warmed
1/2 tsp finely chopped fresh sage
Salt and freshley ground pepper, to taste

In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the apple and shallot and saute until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the ginger and cinnamon and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the butternt squash puree, 2 cups (500ml) of the stock and the sage, and seaon with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 20 minutes.

Using a blender, puree the soup in batches until smooth, then strain through a fine-mesh sieve set over a clean large saucepan. Add more stock if needed to reach the desired consistency. Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and serve immediately. Serves 6.

To enhance the flavor and texture of this soup, top each serving with one of the following garnishes: diced bacon sauteed with minced sage; diced apples sauteed with cinnamon and ginger; or crushed hazelnuts folded into lightly whipped cream.

1 Comments:

Blogger Virginia said...

Patricia,
This is a little random, but I've been a "lurker" on your blog for some time...through Grant English, then Rob, to you. I'm "delurking" today because my husband and I are praying about moving to Orlando for design school. We're visiting in February. I have lots of questions and knew you guys lived there...my email is vsteger@sbcglobal.net, and I'd love to pick your brain about Orlando life. Feel free to visit my blog if you want. Thanks!!

-Virginia
http://thestegers.blogspot.com

9:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home