Pitatayo is me! That's how I pronounced my first and last name when I was really little and learning to talk. This blog is about me, my life, my experiences and other things I want to write about.

This blog has moved. Please visit me at Patricia's Place!

Thursday, January 6

The Year the Camels Stopped Coming

Today is January 6 so Happy Three Kings Day! (Or Epiphany) Today is the day in Latin America that families exchange their presents, instead of on Christmas day. My sisters and I used to get presents on this day, as well as Christmas, until a few years after we moved from Puerto Rico. I don't remember much about it since I was 3 years old when we moved and about 6 when we stopped getting Three Kings Day presents. If my family is reading this maybe you can clarify for me.

The night before on January 5 we would grab our shoe boxes, stuff them with grass, and leave them under the bed. During the night the 3 wise men would come to our house. The shoe box full of grass was for the camels to munch on while the 3 kings delivered their gifts. I remember being so excited when I woke up to find the grass all gone! I still have one of the gifts they left for me - a Cookie Monster stuffed animal. I don't sleep with him at night anymore but he's still in the house I grew up in with the ruffly panties I put on him when I was little. I also used to put him in my basket on my bike and ride around the neighborhood with him. What can I say? I was a typical little girl! That gift may be the reason I love chocolate chip cookies so much! I'm making chocolate chip cookies as I type.

So Cookie Monster was probably the last gift I got from the three kings because I think the following year I asked my parents why the three kings weren't coming that year. They told me the camels had gotten to big and couldn't go up the stairs anymore.

1 Comments:

Blogger karin said...

what a blog! ruffly panties on cookie monster (scandalous, i tell you!), overweight camels, and a chocolate-chip cookie covered laptop.

I liked this one a lot!

(and i always wondered what Epiphany was about)

10:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home