Pitatayo is me! That's how I pronounced my first and last name when I was really little and learning to talk. This blog is about me, my life, my experiences and other things I want to write about.

This blog has moved. Please visit me at Patricia's Place!

Thursday, November 11

Remembrance Day, November 11

Thursday, November 11 is Remembrance Day in Canada and it's a holiday! It's Veteran's Day in the US and it's only a government holiday there. So we get an extra day off. For the last two weeks people have been wearing poppie pins to commemorate Remembrance Day. Rob told me that's what the red pins were for. Amanda, his coworker told him what the poppies were for. She has a good explanation on her blog here.

Here is a good explanation from the Veterans Affairs Canada website:
"Poppies are worn as the flower of remembrance, a reminder of the blood-red flower which still grows on the site of battles fought in France and Belgium. Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, during the terrible bloodshed of the second battle of Ypres, in the spring of 1915, wrote of these flowers which lived on among the graves of dead soldiers.

In Flanders Fields
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders Fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
- John McCrae, 1915

2 Comments:

Blogger ehskeri said...

So, while I was in Wisconsin I gave money to a guy collecting for the Veterns fund or something Veteran related. And he gave me a poppy. So I guess they do that here too. That's the first I've seen of it though.

12:53 PM

 
Blogger revbill said...

What a powerful poem! Dad helped me memorise it when I was in the 5th grade (about 38 years ago) and I can still recite it from memeory! I still get goosebumps hearing or reading it -- especially when I think of how Dad used to recite it very dramatically! Thanks for remeinding me of it!

1:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home