Pitatayo is me! That's how I pronounced my first and last name when I was really little and learning to talk. This blog is about me, my life, my experiences and other things I want to write about.

This blog has moved. Please visit me at Patricia's Place!

Friday, October 8

Canadian Thanksgiving Weekend

It's a long weekend because of Thanksgiving on Monday. Yep, Canadian Thanksgiving is always the second Monday of October. It feels a little strange to be having Thanksgiving so early but it makes sense since harvest time is earlier here. Of course Rob and I will celebrate both Canadian and US Thanksgivings. (We've had several people comment to us that Americans always celebrate both. Sure, why not!)

Canadians don't make a big deal out of Thanksgiving like we Americans do. That's what they've told us, and Rob and I have noticed it as well. They are not celebrating a specific event, instead it is "a day of general Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed" as proclaimed by Parliament. The stores don't sell a lot of Thanksgiving decorations and it generally isn't advertised much. But we do get the day off.

1 Comments:

Blogger ehskeri said...

Aaaahhh. It sounds wonderful that they don't make a big deal about it. Heavenly that they don't sell a lot of Thanksgiving stuff. Are they the same about Christmas? Maybe Canada is the place for me. Do you think that they are less consumer driven? I mean, you know how it is here, the government thinks that the solution to our econimic problems is to give us a tax break so that we can spend spend spend...

2:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home